All You Need To Know About Sun & Tanning
The most popular skin issue is Sun Tanning. Stepping out is inevitable but protecting yourself is not impossible. If you want to know how to protect yourself from tanning, what causes tanning and how to choose the right sunscreen then keep on reading!
There are primarily 3 types of UV rays: UV A, UV B, UV C.
Image Credit: Sungrubbies
UV C is filtered by earth’s ozone layer, therefore only UV A and UV B reach our skin. UV A penetrates deep into our skin layers and causes wrinkles and aging. Whereas UV B targets the top layer of our skin and causes sunburn and redness.
The question now arises, how do we protect our skin from harmful rays?
- You can’t completely stop going out but you can try and avoid getting under the sun from 10am to 4pm as the UV rays are strongest during this time.
- Avoid surfaces that reflect light, such as water, sand, snow and areas that are painted white.
2. Sun protective clothing:
Carry umbrellas, jackets or hats to protect yourself from the sunlight.
- Choose clothes with UPF readings between 25-39 or 40-50.
- Opt for darker fabrics as they won’t let the sunlight pass through.
- If you are comfortable, then choose polyester or nylon fabric as they too provide better sun protection.
Tips on how to choose the best sunscreen:
- If your skin is sensitive to the chemicals in sunscreen products, then choose a mineral sunscreen such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide and SPF 30
- For people with oily skin, opt for a gel based sunscreen or matte finish and SPF 50
- For people with combination skin, opt for a sunscreen that is gel+cream based
- The sunscreen should have SPF reading between 30-50.
Did you know?
1. To make sure that you apply enough of sunscreen take a teaspoon and scoop out a quarter of sunscreen and apply
2. Do not underestimate the sun when you are indoors. The reality is that indoor tanning or sunless tanning exists. Even while you are not facing the sunlight at home or office, you are still bound to get tanned because UV rays can reach us through windows. Therefore it is advisable to apply sunscreen at all times during the day.
3. Do not rely on your makeup for sun protection. The SPF present in the makeup products is not enough to protect the skin from tanning unless an adequate amount of that makeup product is applied just like the sunscreen (quarter of a scoop)
4. The sunscreen should have a minimum SPF 30. Any sunscreen below SPF 30 will not be effective.
Already got some tanning?
Of course, we would not leave you without a remedy if you already got a fair bit of tanning! While there are numerous natural home remedies for treating tanning, let us tell you one quick tan removal mask that shows great results.
- 1 ½ tablespoon gram flour (alternatively you can grind some chickpeas and use)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
Mix all these and make a thick paste. Apply it evenly on your face. Let it dry for some time and then gently rub in circular motion. Remove the pack as much possible by rubbing and then wash the face.
So now that you have become more aware about skin protection from tanning, try to follow these tips as much as possible and see the difference!
Read more HeartVoice News
Sinovac’s Covid-19 vaccine
Sinovac’s Covid-19 vaccine is now available at Integrated Wellness Clinic! With the hope that life...
8 Ways To Practice Mindfulness During A Busy Day
8 Ways To Practice Mindfulness During A Busy Day We all have common questions like, “How can I...
Telemedicine in Singapore: from Humble Beginnings to an Essential Service
Telemedicine in Singapore: from Humble Beginnings to an Essential ServiceHumble Beginnings ...